At one point in time, data-driven marketing, artificial intelligence and voice-based search engine optimization were extremely ambitious concepts that bordered on the impossible. However, today, such innovative online marketing tools are some of the top priorities for tree care business owners in 2021.
After all, why wouldn’t they be considered essential? If your company has any desire to remain competitive in today's online market, it must learn to adapt to the fast changes that continue to occur in digital marketing.
Don't be fooled, this is a time when digital marketing is moving faster than ever and where consumer interest and behavior are difficult to plan for. In such tumultuous conditions, marketers can no longer base their strategies off of the hope that their educated guesses and traditional methods will continue to work with the same efficacy.
Continue reading to discover 38 essential digital marketing trends for 2021 that can help your tree care business not just persist, but prosper in this time of advanced technology.
1) Programmatic Advertising
Programmatic advertising is the use of AI to automate buying so your business can target specific audiences and groups. Live bidding, for example, is a kind of programmatic advertising buying. Such automation is extremely fast and efficient, allowing for higher conversions as well as lowered customer acquisition costs.
It’s adapting digital advertising so quickly that, eMarketer says 86.2% of digital display ads in the U.S. will be programmatic by 2020.
To learn how to take advantage of this digital marketing trend, see PPC Hero’s guide on the topic.
Chatbots continue to be an increasingly essential component of digital marketing. This AI-based innovation offers instant messaging to communicate any time of day with your clients or different site visitors.
- Chatbots are expected to power about 85% of customer service over the coming years.
- Most chatbots offer 24-hour services, instant responses to incoming messages, and quick answers to questions.
Many people like using chatbots as they can be responsive 24/7, provide answers instantly, accurately retrieve data, as well as never lose patience. Virtual assistants like these provide great customer service by reaching customers’ expectations and by automating tasks –meaning you can focus your limited time on more essential work.
Many companies already incorporate chatbot technology in their operations, and use it to completely automate the logistics of their services. For example, you can request services from a company via chat (usually based through Facebook Messenger) or through voice enabled products (like those offered by Amazon Echo), and the chatbot will organize the details of your request.
Chatbots can successfully answer over 80% of regular questions.
Often also incorporated with apps, this tool can be used by clients to choose the kind of service or product they want, assist in making a request for it, track the location or timing of arrival, send updates on arrival, and process payment.
3) Conversational Marketing
Knowing the relevance of chatbots, the state of modern marketing is clear: it’s become more conversational. People prefer it this way, and companies are responding accordingly.
When clients have an inquiry, 82% want an “immediate” response.
Conversational marketing provides an individual, genuine connection between businesses and customers. Unlike older concepts, this type of marketing accessible through multiple channels, allowing companies to interact with customers on their terms: through the devices, platforms and schedules that work best for the customer.
Ideally, the main goal of conversational marketing is to improve the client experience with a feedback-centered format that assists in greater engagement and better loyalty. You can implement this by incorporating direct contact methods into your company’s online platforms, and by communicating an openness to assist.
If you want your tree care business to stand out, your marketing will need to be personalized to your clients–things like custom products, content, emails and more.
As outlined in these personalization stats:
- 63% of consumers consider generic advertising blasts highly annoying.
- 80% state that they prefer to do business with a company that offers personalized experiences.
- 90% claim that they consider content personalization appealing to them.
To understand the impact of personalization, it’s important to know what context it should be used in. Here are some companies that successfully use personalization:
- Coca-Cola's ‘Share a Coke’ campaign.
- Paper Style's segmentation of marketing emails.
- ASOS's social connection options.
- BustedTees' time zone-based emails
Using this approach can be as simple as using a personalized subject line in an email, referring to the client by name. The benefits from connecting with individuals on an interpersonal level can be stupendous for your marketing campaigns, and increase their effectiveness.
5) Video Marketing
Video marketing is one of the most essential marketing trends today and likely will be for the next 5-10 years.
The importance of incorporating video in your digital marketing is outlined through information below:
- 70% of consumers state that they’ve shared a company’s video before.
- 72% of businesses communicate that video marketing has augmented their conversion rates.
- 52% of consumers believe that watching product videos helps them be more certain when purchasing online.
- 65% of executives go to the marketer’s website and 39% contact vendors after seeing a video.
Video is undoubtedly the most widespread way customers learn about new products. Don’t just assume that this means uploading content onto YouTube. There are many ways to improve engagement with your company’s video marketing, whether it is through using a video post or by starting a live broadcast on Facebook or LinkedIn.
One of the main problems that advertisers have had in more recent years is the increasing shift to mobile devices. Things like long sales pages and emails are fading to irrelevance quickly because they’re just too difficult to read through smaller mobile screens. However, the use of video can communicate the exact same information in a way that works well regardless of the device being used to access it.
If your website incorporates video, it’s 50X more likely to deliver genuine search results in comparison to text. Why is this the case? Because people generally take video content as more interesting, platforms like Google push pages that have videos higher in its results.
Among the greatest things about the implementation of video marketing are that it allows for the easy reformatting and sharing of content.
For instance, if you’ve recorded a video to upload to your company's YouTube channel, instead of just ordinarily posting it onto YouTube, you could:
- Transcribe it to a text version of the contents of the video, improving its accessibility.
- Publish the transcription of the contents on your company’s blog with the embedded YouTube video, to improve rankings.
- Upload the video using the transcription as subtitles to Facebook (native Facebook videos generally have a much higher impression share and better engagement compared to shared YouTube videos)
- Use the transcription as a blog article through a short rewrite and the addition of helpful resources and pictures.
- Take the audio and use it for a podcast episode.
- Incorporate video thumbnails in email marketing campaigns as well as the word “video” in the subject line to augment open rates by 19%.
Other video marketing trends that are becoming more popular:
- Live videos are specifically popular with many businesses who use such tools for public interviews, product demonstrations and behind-the-scenes representations of the company, like life in their office, how their services are done or what company events are like.
- 1:1 video is when companies or marketers use custom video messages to communicate with clients rather than through the use of phone calls or emails. As the cost of film equipment decreases, and smartphone cameras become more high-quality, this approach is now easier than ever.
- Video SEO is an extremely helpful tool when trying to make your video marketing more effective. Online videos are shown in search results, so the use of video SEO is becoming much more relevant. This would imply the use of text overlays or closed captions, in addition to a detailed video description, file name and title.
- 360-degree video content is becoming more and more widespread in marketing. The use of this interactive tool is increasingly available on many platforms –just look for a circular icon at the top left corner to slide the navigable video left or right as it plays.
A great example of how 360 ̊ technology works is presented through this video from Google.
7) Influencer Marketing
Influencer marketing is a form of referral marketing that uses public leaders or prominent people to share your company message to a bigger, usually more specific market. An influencer could be a well-known celebrity, but more frequently, these people are online YouTube personalities that engage a massive following and that can assist in spreading the word on your company or services through their various online channels.
Influencer marketing can also generally be seen as more authentic than corporate advertising:
- 63% of consumers believe and trust the opinions of products of influencers much more than what companies claim about such products.
- 58% of people have bought a product over the past six months due to an influencer’s promotion.
For reasons like this, many popular companies have switched their advertising from campaigns incorporating celebrities to ones that feature real-life clients. Working with YouTube communities, many major companies work with a number of online contributors to promote their products in a more authentic way.
It’s important to note that influencer marketing isn’t just a brief trend: A recent study says that the spending for influencer-based advertising will reach $10 billion by next year.
Influencer marketing is also expected to be influenced by the growing use of artificial intelligence. Each year, AI has made the process of looking for the right influencers to work with faster and easier. It’s assisting in identifying those with higher engagement, less fake followers, and with the best chance of creating a great return on investment (ROI).
Artificial intelligence is changing the practice of influencer marketing in these ways:
- Image recognition using ANN (Artificial Neural Networks).
- Analyzing influencer performance with the use of NLP (Natural Language Processing).
- Determining potential engagement with ANN.
- Finding how much influence an influencer has.
- Reporting posts that go against disclosure guidelines.
- Removing fake engagement and bots.
Research and employ this form of marketing to get a more specific and targeted result to your company’s marketing efforts, as well as to improve your company's overall reach.
8) Social Messaging Apps
If you are under the impression that social messaging apps are only for sending messages to friends, you're wrong.
Take a look at these telling numbers:
- 1.3 billion monthly users are regularly online on Facebook Messenger.
- 10 billion messages are sent between clients and companies through Facebook Messenger on a monthly basis.
- WhatsApp serves 1 billion active users and at least 55 billion messages are sent on the platform every day.
- The most commonly used social messaging apps –WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger and WeChat–serve more combined users compared to Facebook or YouTube.
This shows the true popularity of such social messaging apps, and given that people are clearly spending a lot of time messaging on them, it’s a reasonable idea to market your services and products where potential clients are engaging the most.
Social messaging apps are extremely helpful in sending messages to customers individually, as they allow for personalization and provide value to the client experience. People also generally want businesses to have presence on various messaging apps as it’s a simple way to contact them.
Why your company should use messaging apps:
- Improve contacts
- Easy delivery of information
- Improved sales
- Contact people about events or promotions
- Keep a consistent relationship with customers
- Quickly offer support and assistance when needed
Incorporating the use of these messaging apps can be pivotal in increasing your company’s reach, presentation and quality of client support.
9) Visual Search
Visual search tools can bring the client experience to a new level. Using this, people are able to upload a picture to a visual search platform and use it as a search to get specific results based on what’s included in the image.
A) Google Lens
Google Lens is a visual search tool created by Google, that recognizes items and various landmarks with a camera-based app.
You can do many actions that vary by industry and format with this program, with things such as:
- Business cards: The scanner can be used to save phone numbers or addresses on the card to contacts.
- Event flyers or billboards: You can easily scan and add an event to your calendar.
- Landmarks or buildings: Get historical information, hours, and more.
- Plants or animals: Identify and find out more about different species and breeds.
B) Pinterest Lens
Not unexpectedly, Pinterest has joined visual search innovation. They released Lens, a search tool that permits users to use a picture of a product to discover where to purchase it, search for related items or see pinboards of similar things. It essentially turns your phone’s camera into a functioning search bar for products.
Since the release of the tool, Pinterest's Lens recognizes at least 2.5 billion home and fashion objects, and has initiated over 600 million searches through Pinterest’s apps and browser extensions, as well as seen a 140% increase in use from its launch day.
It’s good to note that in terms of social media today:
- 62% of Millennials interested in visual search tools over any other new type of technology.
- Pictures are returned as 19% of total searches on Google.
- There are at least 600 million visual tool searches made through Pinterest every month.
Marketers can obtain an edge over their competitors by joining this visual search trend to better attract customers and present their products in a more widespread way.
A micro-moment is an intentional moment where a person goes to a device to satisfy a need –to go, know, buy or do.
To take complete advantage of micro-moments, your business will need to be visible and clear when and where consumers are looking for information the moment they need it. This can be done by being present at the top of results, being helpful, and being brief and easy to understand.
The increasing popularity of micro-moments suggests that advertisers should rethink the more formally used linear marketing format that directly follows a simple path of awareness, consideration and decision.
Over the coming years, the journey of customers will only become more unpredictable, as businesses are forced to respond to fast changes in consumer needs. After all, in a more modern age, people have adapted to expect instant gratification. If they talk or think about something, they usually want to learn about and see more of it within a few clicks.
To leverage micro-moments for your tree care business, you should:
- Determine and understand your consumers’ “I want to...” moments.
- Adapt your online presence to be visible in these moments of need.
- Produce relevant content and deliver great results.
- Facilitate the process of purchasing.
Incorporate this approach into your marketing campaigns to get the most out of potential sales opportunities.
11) Voice Search & Smart Speakers
The heightened use of voice-based search has made it essential for businesses to review their online marketing strategies.
As outlined in these numbers:
- 50% of total online searches will be by voice within the coming years.
- 55% of American homes own a smart speaker.
- 72% of all people who own a voice-activated speaker communicate that these devices are used in their day-to-day routines.
- Voice based online shopping is set to increase to $40 billion in the coming years.
- International shipments of smart speakers have drastically increased, from 9.36 million units to 26.1 million units.
It’s clear that people could be expected to be using voice-based search a lot more in the future.
Voice search has an important part in retrieving the information people are looking for through the interpretation of audio content. AI is getting more intelligent and the number of mistakes and misunderstandings made by voice assistants has significantly reduced.
Many companies are already using voice search in their digital marketing approaches to offer value-based content to their clients.
How does it work? Google Assistant has ‘actions’, and Alexa has ‘skills’, that allow users to complete various tasks through voice-based technology. These ‘actions’ and ‘skills’ are functions that permit these voice assistants to respond accordingly to specific user commands and questions. These tasks range in function and purpose, with options to do things such as unlocking your phone, opening or managing applications on your phone, using voice commands to set up reminders, hands-free calling, using search or getting Google Maps results.
Keep in mind, not only will more businesses make various audio content in the effort of getting brand awareness, but audio advertisements are very likely to be on their way next. This means that services like Alexa may soon answer your question with a “sponsored result”.
Optimizing your advertising for voice search is an excellent way to increase brand awareness, but how do you do so?
To take part in this, try getting featured on Google, and when uploading information related to your business online, consider keywords that people would speak rather than type out.
The following are four other excellent methods and approaches to better your company’s overall presentation and accessibility through voice-based search.
- Consider what questions your potential customers may be asking.
- Improve your content’s quality and helpfulness.
- Optimize your online business listings to offer as much information as possible.
- Improve your website’s speed and security.
New ideas on how to use smart speakers as a lucrative channel for driving sales continue to emerge and become more accessible. For example, Jetson is a popular tool in voice-based commerce, allowing users to make voice-enabled purchases.
It’s essential for businesses to realize that voice-based search isn’t just another channel to blast promotional sales and messaging. Marketers need to develop and prioritize a genuine approach to this type of consumer interaction, and in doing so, they can achieve a heightened client reach and influence.
12) Social Media Stories
Facebook stories were recently introduced, followed by YouTube unveiling their story formatted tool, Reels.
This type of content disappears after a period of time, providing a great chance for marketers to implement a great amount of ‘fear of missing out’ into their content.
Among the benefits of marketing through social media stories are:
- Augmented company awareness
- Consistent engagement and messaging with followers
- Great cost-effectiveness
- The potential for increased traffic to your company’s web page
- The opportunity to reach younger or more specific audiences
Here are some great ways to make marketing with social media stories more effective:
- Use polls or other interactive options
- Include links to related content
- Use geofilters
- Incorporate location tags
- Mention your workers and partners
- Invite your clients to find out more with concise calls-to-action
Using this format of content can be extremely effective in getting more attention to your company’s online platforms. When doing this, it’s essential to emphasize important information, as well as prioritize the elements of interaction and support.
13) Push Notifications
The use of push notifications by businesses are on the rise, with at least 85%of online stores using them.
Consider these stats:
- Twice as many individuals sign up to web push notifications in comparison to newsletters.
- A small 10% of the most effective email marketers are able to get a newsletter sign-up rate matching the results of web push notifications.
- 6.4 hours is about the average amount of time that passes until a recipient decides to open a newsletter. For web push notifications, the recipient sees the designated message almost immediately.
Included in the effort to engage people on various channels, browser push notifications have become something seen more and more –and are getting increasingly sophisticated and customized. Also, among the benefits of using personalized push notifications are the increase of conversions.
Notifications initiated by specific actions are being implemented to re-engage individuals who have expressed interest in a product but didn’t convert, and to assist in recovering sales from abandoned carts.
14) Content Marketing and Its Continued Dominance In SEO
Recently, Google introduced some major changes to its general search algorithm. These updates incorporated the new BERT framework, designed to help Google in its aim to better understand the natural language people use through their search questions.
Rather than go after different SEO approaches, it’s important to make sure your site has fast enough speeds, helpful links, and clear content.
Content marketing is so essential, that about 88% of B2B content marketers agree creating content helps in their organization being seen as a trusted and credible resource.
From Content Marketing Institute:
- Content marketing costs about 62% less than general marketing and can generate 3x as much in leads.
- Content marketing has drastically lower initial costs and better long-term benefits compared to paid search advertising.
- 615 million devices use advertisement blockers, meaning your advertisements are likely not being viewed by many people.
- Smaller businesses with their own blogs create 126% more leads compared to those without them.
- Content marketing get conversion rates that are 6x higher in comparison to other methods.
Amid the innovation that takes place throughout society on an ongoing basis, content marketing has remained a very reliable and powerful tool in advertising. It can be used to both attract new clients to your website and to also construct great relationships with them through quantifiable methods that can result in long-term benefit for your company.
As Google continues to hold researched and updated articles to great value and priority in its results, many businesses have been expected to only continue to greatly invest in content marketing strategies.
15) SEO A/B Split Testing
Modern day marketing strategy is centered around analysis and testing. Through the use of A/B split-testing, users are able to isolate variables in their various campaigns while being able to easily identify the components that are creating the best results. This type of testing strategy allows marketers to use a more methodical approach for deciding on new and effective changes in their content.
Platforms for such a strategy are becoming more and more available and easy to use. A great example, ClickFlow can identify and report pages that have unused SEO opportunity, which can then be used to increase traffic, conversions and leads. ClickFlow allows you to determine a set target CTR value, then displays relevant pages with a detailed keyword report listing the different keywords your page is ranking. Even better, it can also suggest helpful and new keywords to add to increase traffic.
The use of SEO A/B split testing helps in squeezing the most SEO benefit and value from your website as possible while giving insight to the possible variables that may affect the success of your marketing campaigns. Using this bold strategy with the correct tools and assistance, even companies with smaller budgets can deliver an increasingly better ROI.
16) Interactive Content
One of the quickest-growing online marketing trends in more recent years has been interactive media.
Throughout the coming years, there is an expected change to occur in online marketing, from more traditional text content to more engaging, interesting and dynamic content that can offer users a more immersive experience.
Examples of this type of content:
- Different interactive quizzes or polls
- Embedded tools
- Digitally augmented advertisements
- 360-degree video
Here’s a great example of 360 video.
It’s important to know that a growing number of buyers are interested in interactive media. Individuals like this type of content not only because it’s new and unique, but also because it can assist in causing them to feel more connected to companies as well as more involved in the purchasing process.
Interactive media is engaging, memorable and has an increased likelihood to get the benefit your company needs.
17) Omnichannel Marketing
Omnichannel marketing has become a buzzword in advertising. While the term could appear a little confusing, this strategy has become more relevant than ever.
Omnichannel marketing is the method of advertising over multiple online platforms (like through social media, emails and blogs) to connect with potential clients in more places. When done properly, businesses are able to offer enhanced client experiences with a more effective brand message that can get people to take action faster.
To do this, brands need to present a consistent, clear message over as many mediums possible, like through social media, websites, online catalogs or anywhere else potentially interested people may frequent. These channels should ideally be connected through one combined approach for best results.
Statistics show that businesses using at least three marketing channels can create amazing results:
- Engagement rate: about 18.96% on omnichannel compared to 5.4% with single-channel
- Purchase frequency: 250% higher frequency on omnichannel over single-channel
- Average order value: 13% more value per order through omnichannel than single-channel
- Customer retention rates: 90% higher retention for omnichannel in comparison to single-channel
With various advanced organizations now offering the methods and means to easily manage multiple online channels at once, it’s become increasingly easy to have an effective strategy with omnichannel marketing, even considering how it could’ve traditionally been difficult.
Users expect personalization and like to have the option to look through a physical store, see products from social media, as well as make purchases online. If your business isn’t keeping up with such demands, you can be sure another company will get their business.
This is an area when AI or big data could assist in supporting companies in understanding consumer habits to a more through extent. Having a great understanding of your customer’s buying journey and habits is essential in creating an impactful approach to omnichannel marketing.
18) Augmented Reality and Immersive Technologies
As virtual reality makes a great impact in technological development and gets people excited about such ideas, the use of AR is more possible than ever in marketing. In fact, experts are predicting that AR may consistently outpace VR in market share.
How can you incorporate this into your tree care business? If you have bigger operations or are involved in collaborating, you can look into possible options to make your client’s landscaping experience all the more immersive and interesting through these camera-based technologies. As this sector becomes exponentially relevant, it’s undoubtedly worth looking into.
Companies are using these innovations more and more to better the client experience and improve their sales. Because AR is continuously improving, and rapidly, there is an expectation for a massive uptake in businesses finding helpful applications for this technology for time to come.
19) Predictive and Augmented Analytics
Predictive analytics is the method of taking advantage of data mining, machine learning and predictive modeling to determine patterns in an attempt to estimate future behaviors. It’s becoming more and more advanced as well as widespread in various industries.
For digital marketing, many are expecting to see more of this in the market going forward, as it is used for enhanced lead scoring, and individual personalization, helping advertisers improve client loyalty.
One great example is the Amazon Assistant, an available Chrome extension that permits users to allow recommendations of products from Amazon to go beyond the company’s website and initiate personalized and customized offers as they browse online.
Gartner estimates that over the coming years, at least 40% of all data tasks will be completely automated.
Augmented analytics essentially employs machine learning as well as Natural Language Processing to completely automate and simplify general data preparation and facilitate data sharing.
While the concept of advertising to individuals dependent on their location isn’t a new concept, people are expecting to see an overall augmentation in the general use of geo-fencing technology. In fact, it’s reported that this individual market is expected to grow to over $2.4 billion in the coming years, mainly due to the rise of public mobile device use.
Geo-fencing permits real-time, custom targeting determined by a person’s location. Such target areas are defined as, for example, a mile in distance from a place, and when individuals enter or leave this set zone, they can receive a designated notification, message or any other type of marketing communication.
New research states that out of all people who open push notifications, at least 54% convert from segmented push notifications in comparison to just 15% for general broadcast messages. Also, it’s worth noting that at least 52% of individuals allow push notifications from their apps.
For example, you can use various tools and resources to mark your business locations on a map throughout the area you serve. As people approach, an icon would then appear on the map presenting where to stop for supplies or services.
For tree care companies that need to transform their digital users into physical location clients, geo-fencing is only going to become increasingly essential in their marketing approaches.
21) Progressive Web Apps
Progressive Web Apps are basically websites that can also work as mobile apps. They can offer the basic functions of a mobile app –like quick loading times, notifications and offline access –without the need to be limited on one type of operating platform (meaning Android or iOS).This allows development teams to create web apps for any device that works just like a mobile app.
The number of international smartphone owners is anticipated to surpass 2.87 billion. As page views on mobile devices increase year-by-year at a rate of about 50% worldwide, formatting content for mobile has become more crucial than ever before digital marketing strategy. Technological developments like PWAs are only expected to be more relevant and important as this mobile revolution advances.
22) User-Generated Content
User-generated content is an extremely effective and potent approach for marketers wanting to leverage younger markets. Using this strategy, you encourage your online audience to share unique content that relates to your services, usually by offering an incentive, like a discount.
This easy strategy can vastly augment brand engagement while driving conversion rates high, as an increased number of individuals notice your company, and its services.
People believe the recommendations of others similar to them much more than they generally trust the claims of companies. Recently, one study found that at least 90% of shoppers state that user-generated content effected their decisions in purchasing more so than any other type of marketing.
User-generated content can be as simple as positive blog comments and testimonials, or it can also be used in the format of blog posts, pictures and videos submitted by clients.
23) Automation (& AI)
Experts predict that at least 30% of businesses will involve artificial intelligence in their sales operations over the coming years.
Evidently, it’s to be expected given the beneficial bonuses of AI and automation in marketing.
You can use different forms of artificial intelligence and automation to:
- Augment Customer Retention and Loyalty
- Predict the Patterns of Your Clients with Modeling and Predictive Analytics
- Incorporate Chatbots to Better the Client Experience
- Use the Innovation of Audience Insights to Improve Your Search Advertisements
- Increase the Benefits of Your Content Marketing Through AI-Generated Content
- Offer a More Personalized Website Experiences to Clients
- Take Advantage of Voice Search
- Identify Better Leads
- Lower Cart Abandonment Rates
- Target Specific People Over Different Channels
- Optimize Customer Lifetime Value
- Effectively Upsell and Cross Sell to Customers
- Improve Blog Reach
- Get Leads from ‘Thank You’ Pages
- Automatically Suggest Individualized Content to Different Visitors
- Identify Problems in Your Company’s Sales Pipeline
- Analyze the Overall Performance of Different Marketing Campaigns
- Build a Connected Hub for all of Your Company’s Marketing Activities
- Reduce General Costs While Saving Time
Looking into or incorporating this technology into your business operations can provide great benefit and result to your tree care company.
24) Google Ads Smart Bidding
With immense competition through social media progressively making organic reach more difficult, paid advertisements have been determined to be a more effective marketing force in the coming years. This is especially true considering the newer Smart Bidding feature offered by Google Ads.
Essentially, marketers can give the control of their pay-per-click efforts to Google’s AI based system, that then optimizes their overall budget in an aim to maximize their total ROI.
This is great for numerous pay-per-click targets, like:
- Target CPA: Get new leads, data and customers at a maximum cost per acquisition amount that you determine.
- Target ROAS: Optimize your campaigns to get the best possible return on total advertising cost.
- Maximize Conversions: Increase total conversion rates, whether it be through more subscribers, product sales or downloads.
Smart bidding also allows you to determine various factors in your bid optimization, such as:
- Device type
- Time of day
- Remarketing relevance
- Advertisement characteristics
- Browser Version
- Specific operating system
Some of these determinants are offered as basic manual bidding adjustments, while other determinants are exclusively available through Smart Bidding.
The main idea is that through Smart Bidding, advertisers can save time to then focus on the improvement of strategy, analytics and copywriting.
25) SERP Position Zero
More recently, voice search has been becoming more popular, adapting the ways in which search engine optimization operates. Most notably, the introduction of the featured snippet, appearing in the greatly desired ‘position zero’ on Google’s search result pages.
Over the coming years, about 30% of total Internet searches are expected to be done without the use of a screen. Given that about 40.7% of total voice search answers are derived from a featured snippet, making sure your marketing is powerful enough to get to this spot is essential.
Frequently referred to as ‘rank zero snippet’ or ‘position zero’, it is one of the most desired results in SEO, as it can directly answer search questions without the need for an individual to click and open a link. Doing this as a method of voice search engine optimization can assist in providing you with a stupendous and nearly unmatchable advantage in text and voice-based search.
This concept is becoming more popular, as 62.5% of total mobile searches and about 34.4% of desktop searches result with ‘zero-click search’ results. Due to this enormous potential, many advertisers are beginning to put their resources to On-SERP SEO, the effort of optimizing web pages in the aim of getting as much dominance over Google SERPs possible. Doing this can boost click-through rates, increasing organic visits to your website while increasing the possibility of getting this top spot.
In these increasingly modern times, consumers are generally spoiled with options. Regardless of what industry you’re in –it’s very unlikely that you’re the only one that offers services related to it. At least 66% of total consumers state that they feel related to a company whenever they entrust it, and to get their needed trust, it’s essential to present a strong brand.
The primary reason good branding is necessary is due to Google’s E.A.T. rank factor, standing for:
- Expertise: the page must have good, quality content that is written by a clear writer.
- Authority: the website itself must to hold authority to the subject
- Trustworthiness: the website must include other links referencing it from other trusted sites
Essentially, Google is putting forth effort to do not just rank good content, but to also improve the overall user experience through requiring the most accurate, well-researched and up-to-date material on any topic, shared by qualified individuals in the relative industry.
For example, if a website operated by someone who is unqualified to give advice is the reason for someone being misinformed, it’s negative towards Google’s reputation to offer quality search results. The rank factor mentioned aims to prevent that from happening through critically grading the website on its credibility. As time goes on, it’s expected that Google will crack down even more on misinformation, especially in major industries.
It’s advisable to focus on quality when trying to have your business get more notice on search results. Great branding is key to this. Convey expertise and highlight reputation with submissions for posts on industry-leading blogs, having your business visible at conferences, and by aiming to get recognition. It’s important to always include an author description in your published content pieces to assist in getting brand recognition and to also earn readers' trust.
27) Better Analytics
Marketing and metrics are very interrelated, so it’s reasonable to state that if you’re not looking into better analytics, you will likely have some difficulty in getting your desired marketing results. The issue however, is that customer patterns are becoming extremely sophisticated.
With many marketing channels to operate and numerous ways to advertise your services, the task of tracking analytics has quickly become a seemingly impossible thing. Because of this, a large number of companies are starting to look beyond Google Analytics to more comprehensive business intelligence platforms, or to analytics-based dashboards, like Amplitude.
One of the many ways the business intelligence approach works is through aiming to improve the technologies and methods used for the general collection, analysis and presentation of information. The point of this is to assist in better decision making in business marketing.
There are numerous options for business intelligence platforms, some paid and some free, like Google Data Studio, Tableau and Metabase.
28) 5G Technology
In an increasingly mobile device centered world, one of the digital marketing efforts expected to soar in popularity over the coming years is the release of 5G technology. This technological update offers a new level of communication, and its effect and significance is to be witnessed throughout almost every industry.
T-Mobile highlights the potential 5G speeds have for the augmented reality industry, emphasizing how it may be helpful in the development of a virtual heads-up display system.
The European Union also has a detailed 5G plan that incorporates consistent 5G availability for all main roads and railways. Even better, this technology is anticipated to support an extreme increase in the quantity of connected devices internationally.
The developments in 5G technology have the potential to adapt and revolutionize how people access online media, from digital advertisers to the regular user. Investing in and researching this can be a great decision in preparing your tree care business for the coming advancements in technology.
29) Privacy Marketing
As increasingly detailed Consumer Privacy Acts are released in various countries, it’s important to emphasize the need for prioritizing privacy in marketing. It’s evident that on an international level, individuals are becoming increasingly serious about their data privacy, and advertisers that depend on these people have no option but to adapt according to public opinion.
People like to have the confidence that they can trust companies, and that their data isn’t being misused by them. Rather than being complacent, online advertisers must develop good approaches to promote their commitment to consumer privacy to be able to get and keep the trust of the public.
Brands can get consumers' trust through:
- Understanding their audience(s)
- Building a relevant and helpful message engage their designated audiences
- Determining the appropriate channel to engage with that designated audience through
- Encouraging an intimate relationship with the use of thoughtful engagement
Prioritizing user security is one of the most effective ways you can convey trust to your clients, and doing so can boost your marketing results.
30) Website Security
When trying to convey the importance of privacy through marketing, it's essential to remember website security. When in individual reaches your website for the first time, they’ll likely determine their opinion on your security and business in seconds. If people don’t feel that their data is safe, they won’t stay around, leading to high bounce rates. A high bounce rate is negative for your company, as it can cause your website to move downwards in SERPs when Google takes notice that individuals don’t stay on your site long.
While data breaches at larger companies like Facebook get more public notice, it’s important to know that there are many attacks to smaller companies as well.
A reported 25% of consumers think that the majority of businesses manage their personal data with responsibility.
Over the coming years, website security is becoming less of an option and more of a requirement. Recently, Google stated that HTTPS would be used as a ranking signal and that it would flag any site as ‘unsafe’ if it did not have an up-to-date HTTPS certification.
Going forward, the minimum expectation has been to enable HTTPS protocol for your website, prompting your visitors to see a green padlock logo on the URL. Prominently incorporating a security seal or badge to increase visitor trust on your website can reassure your website visitors that your company takes their security seriously, further assisting your company in conveying a reputable image when marketing.
31) IoT Advertising
Not including people’s mobiledevices or laptops –from smart cars to app supported household appliances, the Internet of Things(IoT) is only becoming more and more relevant.
This means, of course, that companies and advertisers are increasingly wanting to use (or are already incorporating) this technology for their own marketing purposes.
Examples of IoT systems:
- Connected appliances
- Smart home systems
- Autonomous outdoor equipment
- Wireless inventory trackers
Especially as 5G technology advances, IoT supported tools are offering more customized content for consumers as well as new marketing options for advertisers. Taking part in this can only benefit your business, as well as make it more accessible.
32) Long-Form Content
In a more modern and online time, shorter content posts won’t get you much benefit –on Google or with your audience. Usually, content posts with text that are 3,000 words long or more attract the highest amount of traffic, as these lengths usually offer readers a more in-depth and helpful explanation of topics. Longer-form content permits content creators to present themselves as experts on a specific subject and also allows for more extensive options when targeting keywords.
A recent study states that long-form content receives about 77% more backlinks over short articles, something that is essential for creating organic traffic.
About 56% of bloggers produce a better ROI from their content when an average of six hours or more go into creating an individual blog post. While this may seem somewhat excessive, it actually assists in attracting more traffic, augmenting page viewing time, and likewise increases your overall organic search rankings. For many reasons, this can be considered a great investment of time and resources.
These types of long posts are also sometimes referred to as ‘10X content’ or ‘pillar content’. What this means, is that it is essentially content that offers a full answer to the question a client may have on a specific topic. It’s structured to produce value to the reader, as well as to assist in ranking highly in search engines.
Among the benefits of long-form content are:
- Longer time spent by clients on your website’s pages. Essentially, the more content you have for users to see, the more time they’ll likely spend viewing it.
- Reduced bounce rates. If individuals find what they’re searching for on your website, they most likely won’t return to their original Google search to find another option.
- Better backlinks and quantity of social media shares. Long form content pages get shared widely and frequently, such as by experts in a given industry.
- Increases traffic over the lifetime of your website. This form of content is long lasting, its value doesn’t reduce over time.
- A higher Google search ranking. The higher total word count, backlinks and shares can all greatly contribute to better visibility on SERPs.
Using long form content on your company’s online platforms can assist you in getting a better reach, and make your business seem all the more credible and reliable.
33) Semantic Keyword Research
Something you should always remember when creating online text content is that you should be writing for clients, not for Google itself.
A recent report revealed that at least 90% of the most successful marketers place their audience’s general needs before promotional objectives.
While consistently producing 5,000-word posts can be helpful to your website’s presentation, you likely won’t get the type results you’re looking for if user intent isn’t kept in mind. Frequently referred to as ‘keyword intent’ or ‘search intent’, this term is used to define the main objective an individual has when typing or speaking a search query. For example, it could be to find products, specific information or a store’s location.
Consider how Google reviews submitted content. It doesn’t only evaluate the keywords placed in a search box; it also considers the general content of a search and attempts to determine the user’s overall search intent.
Google uses semantic analysis to connect concepts through:
- Related concepts or terms
- Related areas or subjects
- Other possible information to assist an individual
This type of analysis is called semantic search, and with the development and use of AI and voice-based search on the rise, it’s only becoming more and more of a central component of how general search operates.
Marketers can use this to their advantage by going past their general keywords to incorporate related words, phrases or questions in their content. These semantic keywords can provide Google with an improved understanding of the purpose and topic of your online content, and the benefits or solutions it provides users, while augmenting your company’s overall standings in its results.
34) Structured Data SEO
Among some of online marketers, there has been a notable group that has begun to refer to SEO as irrelevant. This is untrue. While things change and technology advances, SEO has not become irrelevant. It’s simply adapted. Over the coming years, it’s expected that structured data will only become more central in the retrieval of search engine results.
Basically, structured data is any type of data that is managed in a way that makes it easy for search engines to categorize.
When done properly, structured data can provide a massive improvement in SEO, as it can positively contribute to ranking in Position Zero.
Another great benefit of using structured data is the potential to generate Rich Snippet results, which can display images, stats, and pricing information. These rich snippets, alternatively known as rich cards, are great for increasing overall clicks, specifically on mobile.
A great tool for implementing this is Schema.org, which provides a semantic vocabulary of tags that can allow website owners to easily embed structured data to their web pages so search engines can efficiently understand, represent and interpret their content in search results.
As almost 50% of total global Internet traffic is now initiated from mobile devices, the desire for these rich search results is increasing, and there’s been an expectance to see marketers increasingly focusing on taking advantage of structured data in the coming years.
35) Alternate Search Engines
About 92% of total traffic on search engines is done through Google, greatly surpassing its rivals, like Yahoo or Bing.
As the world’s primarily dominant search engine, it is a sophisticated tool of innovation that has been finely-tuned over time to consistently provide the most relevant, comprehensive and recent results for user searches. It’s unlikely that a demise of this giant will occur any time soon, and it is seen as relatively impossible for any other search engine to rival Google in this dominated industry.
With that being said, DuckDuckGo, a privacy-based search tool that has collected a popularity between privacy-minded individuals, has recently produced some interest with its identification as ‘the search engine that doesn’t track you’.
Given the increasing importance and relevance of online privacy, as Google has been flooded with data misuse scandals, DuckDuckGo has achieved an extreme growth as it hits 1 billion searches.
Essentially, advertisers should remember to consider the preferences and priorities of their clients and think about where their company’s content is most likely to be seen. With the drastic increase in popularity in alternative search tools, it’s pivotal to optimize your online content for more places than one search engine.
36) Voice Marketing Funnels
As the impact and relevance of voice search grows, what’s increasingly important to consider is the cumulative contribution that voice search and voice-enabled devices will have on a central component of your company's advertising: your marketing funnel.
Amid society’s fast changing digital marketing trends, it’s essentially impossible that your traditional marketing funnel can stay the same without losing relevancy or effect. As a result of these tumultuous conditions, it must evolve. It’s predicted that over the coming years, the linear marketing funnel will only become less relevant. In fact, this change has already begun.
In voice marketing funnels, leads can process through the funnel at different points of the client journey, given the fact that numerous consumers now do a lot of their own researching online. This newer and updated model guarantees that each client is dealt with on an individual level instead of as a generic prospect. Resulting from this, the funnel caters to the need for personalized solutions.
Another way that the general sales funnel is being adapted is through funnel to engine, where the company no longer predicts or dictates the client’s journey, and the company and client alternatively synergistically interact with one another.
The point is that individuals now can, and should, expect for technology to continuously adapt. As a result of this, marketers need to build funnels that are increasingly capable of being able to react to these constant shifts in the digital marketing landscape.
A recent study suggests that the first companies to adjust to the requirements of voice search will get the greatest benefit, with the potential to increase their total digital online revenue by at least 30% or more.
Take advantage of this potential by researching voice marketing funnels and optimizing your company’s marketing strategy to work well with it.
37) Social Media Marketing
Over the coming years, we'll see companies relying more on the benefit of interactive content on social media platforms to get attention. In doing this, they must remember to incorporate authenticity on their social channels, and to consistently work hard to grow a community of engaged and loyal followers.
Here are some of the most popular social media trends to improve your online effect:
- Facebook Pay: Launched in the U.S., this new payment feature can facilitate on-platform payments, making it simpler for individuals to buy products through Facebook, WhatsApp or Messenger.
- Facebook Watch: Facebook's new video-on-demand platform.
- Oculus: New VR technology can make social media more interactive, which Facebook touts as ‘the next evolution of social’.
- Cross-stream messaging: Facebook's recent integration of the same messaging functionalities through Messenger and WhatsApp.
- Twitter's mDAU: A new daily and monthly active user data metric created in an effort to clean up the platform from bots.
- Narrowcast tweets: An option that can limit the overall audience and use of an individual’s tweets, like the ability to remove the retweet option from specific tweets, and to reduce the visibility of your tweet to only designated hashtag discussions or to certain people, allowing users to target their tweets to a specific audience.
- Tweet streaming: A new feature that offers live-streaming.
- LinkedIn groups: Like Facebook Groups, a feature offered by LinkedIn that is only expected to be more popular.
- LinkedIn video: Because LinkedIn users are about 20x more likely to share a video over any other type of post on the platform, LinkedIn has been increasingly focused on improving their video discovery tools as well as putting more priority and notability to uploaded video content.
- Snapchat AR: A new Augmented Reality version of ‘Spectacles’ is in development, which could provide individuals with the opportunity to incorporate digital graphics with a real-world view.
Look into or incorporate some of these tools to make your company’s reach more widespread, personalized and interactive.
One of the most new and promising digital marketing trends of recent times has been neuromarketing. While this can sound like something of the impossible, the reality is that this type of technology is developing quickly and may have the potential to become a useful tool for advertisers.
Neuromarketing is a type of strategy that can analyze various measurements of an individual’s brain activity to identify which forms or types of content they may find interesting.
Essentially, it is the process of making and designing marketing materials (like websites, content, email campaigns and ads) to cause targeted neurological reactions that can trigger responses that are related to purchasing. Through this strategy, you can use this data to improve your content and adjust your approaches, increasing the overall effectiveness of your advertising.
An example of how this is increasingly becoming relevant is SPARK Neuro, a neuroanalytics company that studies attention and emotion to improve the effectiveness of advertising and entertainment. The business incorporates neurometrics, biometrics and various algorithms to understand attention and emotion patterns, assisting advertisers in understanding what type of content to emphasize and what type to avoid.
It’s almost a sure thing that neuromarketing will have an insane effect on the approach to marketing going forward. As the most important consumer data is in the brain, any tool that can assist businesses in understanding it is sure to be worth it.
So, there it is! Our complete list of the 38 most essential and relevant digital marketing trends all tree care companies should look into over the coming years.
For any individual in online marketing, change is an expected part of the task. In these conditions, it’s important to consistently look ahead and to embrace these new advancements, strategies and tools in order to maximize your company’s advertising potential.